Sunday 18 May 2014

The flip side of "You only get one life"

I often see or hear people saying "You only get one life so make the most of it"; as someone who strongly believes in re-incarnation I find this quite fascinating .

This belief is quite fundamental and we tend to stand on one side or the other and although we don't think about it it can affect the whole way we live our lives.

When you believe in "one life" your focus might be on reaching goals such as the career, the family, making your million.  It might be about having as much fun as possible or only doing what you feel is the right thing to do.

When you know there are more lives to come, for me anyway, there is less focus on goals and more on intention.  With re-incarnation comes a belief in karma of some kind and for me it is less important for me to check off boxes showing I have fulfilled my goals, rather I am hoping to clear as much karma as possible so that the next life can be truly fantastic.

I don't worry about whether I have lived every day to the full because I don't believe my time is limited.  Yeah, I will die, but I will get another lifetime to fill.  This belief allows me to kick back a little and smell the roses.

It's great to see so many people motivated by the desire to make the most of their limited time, but if there is no spiritual belief it can turn into self indulgent hedonism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment